Monday, August 9, 2010

Lights, Camera,......

Today is the first day of shooting for my movie. I say that as if there will be lots of days of shooting. There will likely be two. But, I'm sitting here waiting on the crew. This is my first film. I don't really know what to expect. I'm working with a director. I'm working with actors. I'm not used to this stuff. I'm used to flying solo. The creative juices have always been my responsibility. Today will be a little different. My job today will be as more of an observer. I write the flick. But then I passed the torch to a director to carry for a bit. It's gonna be up to him to make my dream come alive. That's a little scary for me. But in a good way.

I remember when I had my first photo shoot. I had this same feeling. That "Is this real?" feeling. Its like I'm asking myself if what I'm about to do is what I'd envisioned. Will it fall apart? Will it be great? I had the same feeling when I took the stage for the first time with my horn in my hand. I had practiced. I had prepared. But getting on the stage while people are watching is different than practicing. And that first photo shoot, just like that first gig, felt just like I thought it would. Amazing.

Here I am, standing backstage, horn in hand, waiting for the downbeat. Waiting for the announcer to say, "Ladies and gentlemen......"

2 comments:

  1. Its a story about race, of course! An inter-racial relationship that ends badly. You'll have to see it when it's done.

    ReplyDelete